Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home1/aaronfer/public_html/familyadventureproject.org/wp-content/themes/FamilyAP/functions/admin-hooks.php on line 160

Talking Point 17: Do something fun for free

Berlin Hauptbahnhof Berlin Hauptbahnhof
Berlin Hauptbahnhof Berlin Hauptbahnhof

IMG 0765 Talking Point 17: Do something fun for free

Berlin Hauptbahnhof – The most fun you can have for free in Berlin?

Talking Point: The everyday attraction

Stuart Profile Small Talking Point 17: Do something fun for free On our weekend in Berlin we did many things. Some cost money. Some were for free. So where did we have the most fun? What was our favourite activity? You might be surprised. It kind of caught us by surprise as we wandered the vast glassy complex of Berlin’s Hauptbahnhof, the city’s Central Station.

Built for the 2006 World Cup it’s said to be Europe’s largest station. Some say it’s construction was an important part of reunification, welding back together the transport infrastructures of East and West. Some say it was just a huge €700m waste of money. We say it’s the best fun you can have for free in Berlin.

If you’ve read Roald Dahl you’ll know the story of the Glass Elevator. Well we looked for Wilhelm Vonka but he was nowhere to be seen. But you can see a lot, almost everything in fact, from inside these amazing glass elevators. We counted at least six in the station, enough to ride one each, and have lift races. Fancy a ride? Check out the video.

In a world where we value the expensive and flashy it’s good to search out the simple things you can do for free. Sometimes they are right in front of you. Going up anyone? Or going down. It doesn’t matter. Having fun will lift your spirits, whichever way you go.

Talking Point

What have you done lately for fun, for free? Do tell.

Join the Conversation

Subscribe RSS Button on Tan Background 150x150 Talking Point 17: Do something fun for free

Talking Point is our series of short Photo Friday posts. Each week we pick a photo and post a talking point and invite you to join the conversation. Do leave a comment with your thoughts.

For more photo inspired fun why not check out Travel Photo Thursday from Budget Travelers Sandbox, Photo Friday at Delicious Baby or Friday Dreaming at RWeThereYetMom

Tags: , , ,

Stuart's the adventure addict half of the team, always trying to persuade the family to get out, do more, go further. As co-founder and co-director he handles the business, creative, design, technical and publishing aspects of the project and is our chief photographer. With training as a professional learning and development consultant. an engineer and musician, his contribution is eclectic and unpredictable!

9 Responses to “Talking Point 17: Do something fun for free” Subscribe

1. eileen at FamiliesGo! February 8, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

finding things to do in NYC for free is especially tough. We always keep our eyes peeled for the free days and evenings Target sponsors at museums and other cultural institutions around the city. They’re always kid friendly even if the venue isnt usually a slam dunk with kids.

2. Lisa February 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Not always easy to find free activities for the kids in cities but isn’t it amazing how they often enjoy those free activities more than the ones you paid for? My kids would happily go up and down all day on a glass elevator.

3. InsideJourneys February 8, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

I agree, sometimes things that are free are right in front of us – we just need to look, which reminds me, I need to look for at least one thing this weekend.

4. Brad Fennell February 11, 2013 at 6:38 am #

A couple of weekends ago we headed out to a small river to ride the rapids after a lot of rain. It was just brilliant! Love fantastic free stuff.

5. Ted Johnson February 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

A few years ago I was in a shopping mall in Denver, and hating every second I had to wait before my wife and family would let me leave. I dislike shopping malls with a passion.

My stepdaughter really wanted to play on the escalators. Then it occurred to me that I could vicariously lash out against the mall by letting her have her wish.

I told her she could play on the escalators as long as she didn’t bump into anyone, or block anyone’s way. She was thrilled.

She annoyed some shoppers too, which was very satisfying to me. Nobody got knocked over, and consumerism carried on.

I know it was bad and probably immature of me. But it was free.

6. Nancie February 11, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

Looks like a fun place to wander around in for a few hours. Those elevators definitely look fun!

7. Nadine Hill, Juggle Mum May 14, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

This was a great post and I loved the glass elevator video!
    Your family has a great sense of fun- I’d have enjoyed riding the glass lift with you all day!

1. February’s Britmums Blog Carnival | Baby Budgeting - February 26, 2013

[...] me laugh with her costume drama post. Kirstie over at the adventure project is sharing her post on everyday fun for free. Ideas close to my frugal heart! The shovel list over at little rascal reviews was a very funny [...]

2. 14 Inspiring Ideas for Micro Adventures - Family Adventure Project - January 19, 2014

[…] or just different can while away the time, release the inner child and be quite exhilarating. Like going up and down in a station elevator? Well I did say […]